.................................................................................................................

"No matter where I am, your teachings fill me with songs." - Psalm 119:54 (CEV)

Friday, August 12, 2011

Peace Like a River

This is the one I wrote longest ago.

Thinking about writing and what I'd done so far,

I decided to try an arrangment,

Something not copyrighted, so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

I ended up "re-writing" this song.

It just kind of came to me,

I could change the words just a little,

Add an extra part to each verse.

There are a couple of things I don't like about this arrangment.

It's long and has little variation.

The words are pretty obvious and repeat a lot.

There are quite a few things, though, that I do like.

I did a harmony vocal part for almost every verse of this song.

(I'm not sure how it came out, but it was a good experience.)

I had the opportunity to try writing an arrangement, something I don't usually do.

(I'm not sure if I did a good job or not, but the word changes and extra verses came from the heart.)

I had the opportunity to take a common song and use it express what I feel I sometimes lack -

Without changing the meaning of the song too terribly much.

Of the five tracks, this is the fourth,

Which is interesting, as it is also fourth on my personal "best-to-worst list" (of tracks from this EP),

Though I'm much happier with this one than the fifth on my "best-to-worst list".

I'm pretty satisfied with how the track came out,

And I'm glad to have had the chance to try something new.



Peace Like a River (arrangement)

I need peace like a river,
I need peace like a river,
I need peace like a river in my soul,
I need peace like a river,
I need peace like a river,
I need peace like a river in my soul.

Give me peace, Lord, give me peace,
Give me peace, Lord, give me peace,
Give me peace, Lord, give me peace,
Give me peace like a river in my soul.

I need love like an ocean,
I need love like an ocean,
I need love like an ocean in my soul,
I need love like an ocean,
I need love like an ocean,
I need love like an ocean in my soul.

Give me love, Lord, give me love,
Give me love, Lord, give me love,
Give me love, Lord, give me love,
Give me love like an ocean in my soul.

I need joy like a fountain,
I need joy like a fountain,
I need joy like a fountain in my soul,
I need joy like a fountain,
I need joy like a fountain,
I need joy like a fountain in my soul.

Give me joy, Lord, give me joy,
Give me joy, Lord, give me joy,
Give me joy, Lord, give me joy,
Give me joy like a fountain in my soul.

I need peace never dying,
I need love that o'ertakes all,
I need joy that's overflowing,
In my soul, Lord, in my soul.

Give me peace never dying,
Give me love that o'ertakes all,
Give me joy that's overflowing,
In my soul, Lord, in my soul.

I need peace like a river,
I need love like an ocean,
I need joy like a fountain in my soul.



The italicized, bold words are the lyrics to the song "Peace Like a River", arranged by Mary Schieferstein, ©2010 Mary Schieferstein.


This post contains the "Artist's Notes" for a song from the EP Pour: Songs of Rain and Rivers.  To view the artist's thoughts about other tracks on this EP, use the links below.
      1. Pour
      2. With Me
      3. River Flow
      4. Peace Like A River
      5. Still Holding Me

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...