.................................................................................................................

"No matter where I am, your teachings fill me with songs." - Psalm 119:54 (CEV)

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wet Moments


It was a beautiful day,

Though oppressively hot.

She begged me to come swimming with her,

He decided to come with us.

We three walked down and began removing the solar cover.


Clear, aqua water waited beneath.

She grabbed the skimmer,

He and I grabbed the camera.


Simple moments of sun and shadows,

Hot air and cool water,

Light making patterns on pool bottom.


The water was soon clear and we all got in.

Usually I like to jump,

But the water was warm enough that I just used the ladder -

92 degrees Fahrenheit,

Yet definitely cooler than the hot, still air.


Toys floated lonely on the water's surface, abandoned.

We dove,

Exploring the underwater world,

However plain and simple,

Giggling and waving at each other,

Bubbles rising up from noses and mouths.


It was one of those times I wished I had a waterproof camera

To capture the joy of being together under the water,

The beauty of the sky seen through the water's surface,

The swimmers brushing the pool bottom.


We spent a long time in that underwater world,

Twisting and bending,

Rising and falling,

Swimming as much like fish as our human bodies would allow

Before we went back into the house,

Red rings from goggles still encircling eyes.


Being there reminded me how much I miss.

I am surrounded by such indescribable beauty, yet I rarely stop to notice it.

I am invited to join them in this water almost every day, yet I often refuse.

I am given many so many simple moments like these,

Water glistening in sun moments,

Wet cheeks touching moments,

Teaching little ones how to do a handstand moments,

Smiling wide moments,

Yet how often do I let the moments pass and not even stop to see?

Isn't this important?

Isn't it much more important than everything else I have to do?

Shouldn't I make time for this?

This joy-sharing with precious young ones

Who will not be young for long,

Who will all too soon be all too old,

Grown,

Gone,

Just like the moments.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...