.................................................................................................................

"No matter where I am, your teachings fill me with songs." - Psalm 119:54 (CEV)

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Favorite Artists and Favorite Instruments

Though I didn't write more than the occasional song (none of which were very good) for years, I still listened to a lot of music.

One morning, I heard a song on the radio.

I thought it was really good, creative, interesting, true . . .

By some artist I'd never heard of (must have been new).

I didn't have the time to look her up then, though,

And I forgot about it when I did have time

Until I heard another one of her songs,

Thought, again, that it was really good,

Heard the name, remembered the other song,

Then finally remembered to look her up.

Turns out, she wasn't a new artist at all.

The songs I'd heard were from her seventh album.

I asked Dad to get the album for me,

Listened to it,

Then listened to it again

And again

And again.

Something kept drawing me toward that album.

I found two more of her CDs in a 2-disc set at the Christian bookstore,

Then listened to those over and over again as well.

I couldn't stop listening to her music,

Watching and reading everything that I could get my hands on.

It wasn't long before she'd earned the title of "favorite artist",

A title I had never before matched with any one person or group.

Her music just inspired me.

Months later, I was hanging around at my church,

Waiting for something or another, I don't remember what,

And I went to find a piano.

This was a big deal because my grandma taught me to play the piano when I was little . . .

And I hated it.

I hated having to practice,

Hated trying to read the bass clef,

Hated trying to recreate the sheet music using the instrument.

When I sat at the piano bench that day, it was the first time I had willingly done so in years . . .

Just to play.

I sat and picked out melodies by ear,

Figured out chords for the left hand,

Until I could play "He's Always Been Faithful".

I started playing during study hall

Because I had nothing better to do,

Or because I preferred playing to doing math homework.

I learned many more songs,

Most of which I've forgotten by now

Because the accompaniments I came up with were boring,

Repetetive.

Still, I could play.


To this day, I prefer my keyboard to my guitar.

I know it better,

I can be more creative with it,

It's more fun to sit down at and just play.

I often wish I had an acoustic piano, though,

Because it has a more beautiful sound,

More real.

It's a real treat for me to sit down and play an acoustic.


To this day, Sara Groves is my favorite artist.

I have a stack of her CDs in my bathroom.

I listen to them almost every night.

I honestly believe that her music,

Which helped inspire me to start playing the piano again,

Is a big part of the reason I am writing music now.


Well, that's another chapter in the story.

More to come tomorrow.


The songs "When the Saints", "It Might Be Hope", and "He's Always Been Faithful" are written and performed by Sara Groves.  The albums Tell Me What You Know, Add to the Beauty, and Conversations are also by Sara Groves.  Many, many, many thanks to this incredible artist for her beautiful music and continued inspiration.


This post is the third in a multi-part series.  The other posts can be read via the links below.
     Part 1 - #150
     Part 2 - When I Was Little . . .
     Part 3 - Favorite Artists and Favorite Instruments
     Part 4 - . . . And Then it Happened
     Part 5 - The Way I Was Made
     Part 6 - Faithful from Beginning to End

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...