.................................................................................................................

"No matter where I am, your teachings fill me with songs." - Psalm 119:54 (CEV)

Friday, June 3, 2011

Grateful (How Can I Keep From Singing?)

It's been so beautiful lately.



The sunsets have been glorious.


Flowers have been opening . . .


Which has not helped my allergies.



Still, it's nice to see things grow.


I was thinking of gratitude today,

Of all the things I thank God for . . .  (Like my warm bed, my family, my meals, my music, . . .)

And all of the things I forget to thank God for.  (Like the yarn I love to work with, the games I like to play, the movies I like to watch, . . . the clothes I am wearing, the roof over my head, . . .)

I have so much to be grateful for.

Thank You.


Somehow, this led to me thinking about why I make music.

Why is singing so important to me?

Why do I so enjoy weaving words together?

Why is it that seeing someone playing music makes me want to play, too?

Why is it that I feel the urge and can't resist picking up an instrument and making it sing?

Why do I sing along with the radio?

Part of it is because I am passionate about music.  It has found a place deep inside of me and has become an essential part of who I am.

I think there's something more, though.

I think it's a form of gratitude.


When I think about what I've written, I realize that many of my songs have a common theme.


I often write about lessons that I've learned, promises that I've been given, things that I've been blessed with . . .


These are things that I am grateful for.

This is one way I give thanks.




I think that I sing and play for similar reasons.

I think that making music is one way I give thanks for the fact that I have ears to hear and a voice to sing.

I think that I'm so grateful to have music to listen to . . .

Grateful that people work to make music . . .

Grateful to the One I sing to . . .

That I can't help but express my gratitude.

 

I think that I'm so grateful to have an instrument to play that I can't help but play it.

I think that I'm so grateful to be able to write that I can't help but write and keep writing.

I am so grateful.

How can I keep from singing?


My life goes on in endless song:
Above earth's lamentation,
I catch the sweet, tho' far-off hymn
That hails a new creation.
Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul--
How can I keep from singing?
What tho' my joys and comfort die?
The Lord my Saviour liveth;
What tho' the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth.
No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that refuge clinging;
Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth,
How can I keep from singing?
I lift my eyes; the cloud grows thin;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smooths,
Since first I learned to love it.
The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing;
All things are mine since I am his--
How can I keep from singing?



I am so grateful for everything . . .

For all of the things I've been blessed with . . .

Even the ones that have hurt me . . .

For all of the beauty that surrounds me . . .

Even though that beauty is sometimes tainted by the products of our human nature . . .

For every sunrise . . .

And every sunset . . .

For every day . . .

And every breath . . .

For hope when there


Are no days left.


I am so grateful.


How can I keep from singing?




The bold lyrics are from the hymn "How Can I Keep From Singing?".  (Ginny Owens has a beautiful version of this hymn on her CD Say Amen:  Hymns and Songs of Faith.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...