.................................................................................................................

"No matter where I am, your teachings fill me with songs." - Psalm 119:54 (CEV)

Friday, November 25, 2011

Time for Christmas Music!


It's that time again,

Time to get into all the Christmas traditions.

They were bringing things down before I got out of bed this morning,

Stacking boxes in the family room,

Cleaning walls and sweeping floors,

Wiping off the wooden boards.

After all, today is the day after Thanksgiving.

That means it's time to start getting ready for Christmas.


After Mom and I completed our shopping expedition,

Had some lunch,

They started bringing more things down,

Getting ready to decorate the tree

That Dad had set up while we were gone.


I had asked Dad to put on the Christmas music,

After all, we always listen to Christmas music while we're decorating the tree.

He hadn't gotten around to it yet,

So I abandoned (temporarily) the remainder of my dessert

In search of CDs.


I put in some of the CDs I've listened to every Christmas for as long as I can remember,

Amy Grant,

The Carpenters,

The Beach Boys.

I also grabbed a newer one,

The Sara Groves Christmas album I got sometime last year.

I put them all in the CD changer,

Turned up the music,

And returned to eat the remainder of Mom's delicious apple pie.


It wasn't long before I heard it from the other side of the door,

"Mary found the music."

People came in carrying boxes and boxes of decorations,

Noting that I had put on the music,

Yet hadn't been worried at all about the decorations.

"What can I say?" was my reply.

"I have a one-track mind."


It's always about music with me,

Heading straight for the CD section at the Christian bookstore,

Opening Windows Media Player while I'm doing homework,

Singing in the shower,

Practicing piano and guitar in the spare time I really don't have.

I can't help it.

It's who I am.

I live music.

I breathe music.

I can't

Stop

Making

Music.


He's given me this gift,

This language of music,

And it really is all my one-track mind can think about.

How could I ever keep from singing?


People don't always understand this about me.

I didn't understand it myself, at first,

But now I do (for the most part, at least).

I understand how this passion burns inside of me,

This desire to sing,

To praise and thank my Creator.

I understand how good it feels to give in,

To make the music,

To sing, hum, drum, anything to express what I feel in my soul,

And it feels a little crazy sometimes,

(Maybe it is crazy,)

But He made me this way for a reason,

This is part of the masterpiece He's creating,

So I don't hold it in,

I let it all out,

Join my voice in the song . . .


You don't have to be an angel
To sing harmony.
You don't have to be a child
To love the mystery.
And you don't have to be a wise man
On bended knee.
The heart of this Christmas is in you and me.

The heart of this Christmas is in you and me.


Sorry it's been awhile.  Busy week!

The question "How could I ever keep from singing?" references the hymn "How Can I Keep From Singing", specifically the version preformed by Ginny Owens. 

The bold, italicized words are the lyrics to the song "The Night Before Christmas" preformed by Amy Grant - one of those great songs I've listened to every Christmas for as long as I can remember.

Many blessings this holiday season!
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...