.................................................................................................................

"No matter where I am, your teachings fill me with songs." - Psalm 119:54 (CEV)

Sunday, April 20, 2014

This Wait


Holy Saturday.

How to write of the impossible wait,

Of not knowing what would come next?

Reaching high for this one,

And faltering often.



This Wait
by Mary Schieferstein
©2014 Mary Schieferstein

Shabbat morning and I can't even rise,
But I hear rumors of what's going on outside.
They say His disciples have locked themselves away,
All of them understandably afraid.

Soldiers stand guard where He was laid,
So His followers won't slip into His grave,
Steal His body and claim He's alive.
Word is, He promised after three days He would rise.

This Man Who healed the sick and raised the dead,
The innocent One Who was condemned -
Dare I hope and dare I pray
For such an end to this wait?

Most people just go on with their lives,
A few sit and whisper of sacrifice,
How we offer again and again.
Can we really ever pay off this debt?

They tell how the prophet speaks
Of One whose wounds can really bring us peace.
They wonder what it means to say
That this Savior will prolong His days.

This Man Who healed the sick and raised the dead,
The innocent One Who was condemned -
Is it possible the wrath that I should get
Could somehow fall on another's head?
Can such a peace really exist -
That would lift the crushing wight off my chest?
Dare I hope and dare I pray?
Dare I hope and dare I pray?
Dare I hope and dare I pray
For such an end to this wait?



2014 Easter Songs Series:
Palm Sunday - Hosanna
Monday - House of Prayer
Tuesday - No One Ever Spoke Like This Man
Spy Wednesday - Who He Claims to Be
Maundy Thursday - Seder
Good Friday - What Have I Done?
Holy Saturday - This Wait
Easter Sunday - Victory



 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...