.................................................................................................................

"No matter where I am, your teachings fill me with songs." - Psalm 119:54 (CEV)

Friday, April 18, 2014

Seder


Thursday,

Maundy Thursday,

"Thursday of the Commandment".

Thursday, Jesus celebrates the Passover Seder with His disciples.

Beth Moore's Passion 2013 message comparing the Biblical account with the traditional ceremony has never left my mind,

Symbolism buried deeper than I would have understood.

I stayed up late Wednesday to listen.

My favorite part is where she speaks of "dayenu" - "it would have been enough" or "it would have been sufficient",

And she says it wouldn't have been sufficient.

If Jesus had just been born of a virgin, it would have been a miracle, but it would not have been sufficient.

If Jesus had just taught the Word of God, it would not have been sufficient.

If He had healed the sick,

Cast out demons,

Raised the dead,

It would not have been sufficient.

If He had been beaten and scorned and mocked, but never shed a single drop of blood, it would not have been sufficient.

That part didn't make it into the song,

But it's sure been in my heart.

Here's my (summary) retelling of the Seder.



Seder
by Mary Schieferstein
©2014 Mary Schieferstein

I slip into the house where they're eating.
I shouldn't be there, but I really have to know.
I sit on the stair as Jesus reads
How we were delivered long ago.

He pours the first cup of promise,
Recounts how God said, "I will bring you out."
They drink the wine and say,
"Blessed be the Lord!"

I know that it is time for the hand washing,
I inch closer, trying to peek.
I can see Jesus kneeling,
Washing their feet.

He says, "A servant is not greater than his master,"
Teaches them to do as He has done.
The disciples aren't sure what to think.
I, too, have never seen a Seder like this one.

They take the second cup of promise,
Recount how God said, "I will deliver you."
They drink the wine and say,
"Blessed be the Lord!"

Jesus takes the matzah and He breaks it,
They eat the bitter herbs until they cry,
But I think it's much more than the pain of Egypt
Flowing from His eyes.

He says that one of them will betray Him,
Gives the dipped bread to the man I saw yesterday.
Jesus tells the man to go on with his plans,
I barely have time to get out of the way.

He pours the third cup of promise,
But only into His own glass.
Is this not God's Word - 
"I will redeem you with an outstretched hand"?

He breaks the bread and says it's His body,
Tells them to take it and eat.
The cup, His blood of the covenant,
He passes around to drink.

And, Jesus, He doesn't pour the fourth cup,
God's promise, "I will take this people as my own."
They sing Hallel and leave.
I sit, too stunned to see where they go.


2014 Easter Songs Series:
Palm Sunday - Hosanna
Monday - House of Prayer
Tuesday - No One Ever Spoke Like This Man
Spy Wednesday - Who He Claims to Be
Maundy Thursday - Seder
Good Friday - What Have I Done?
Holy Saturday - This Wait
Easter Sunday - Victory



 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...