I have a small collection of little objects -
Tiny bits of grace -
In the side pocket on my bookbag.
You see, I like to take walks.
And, for me, "taking a walk" is code for "spending time with God".
My friend has been a bit skeptical in the past,
Preferring the quiet rooms and closed doors,
And there are times that I need that, too,
And my time with my notebook of requests always happens there,
But there's something about being outside,
Free from man-made walls,
Where God sends breezes and sun and rain
And there is nothing between me and His creation -
This is my favorite place to pray.
And sometimes I need the benches,
And sometimes, vision blurred with tears, I'm grateful for the paths,
But, mostly, I need the wonder -
The beauty of nature in all seasons,
The leaves as they grow and fall,
The snow as it piles up, then melts.
I just need to be in it,
Staring at it,
Laughing with joy at the creativity of our Creator,
And there are good days and there are bad days,
But, oh, I need to be there.
I went for a walk last Friday.
The cool weather during most of the summer
Must've tricked the trees into thinking autumn was here early.
Interspersed bits of green and yellow waved gently in the breeze above my head.
As I got ready to follow the path to the left,
I noticed leaves falling from the tree up ahead.
You see, it was last year that I came to the crazy (though true) realization
That, since God is absolutely Sovereign,
He determines exactly where each leaf will fall.
Other than adding significantly to the awe I was experiencing,
This realization had the effect of sending me chasing after the falling leaves.
It felt like catching one would be such a gift.
Well, my hand-eye coordination has never been that good,
And joint problems have inhibited my desire to run,
So it's never been that easy for me to catch the falling leaves
As they drift one direction, then another on the wind,
So often falling just out of reach.
Of course, that makes it all the more precious when,
To my surprise,
I find a leaf resting in my sweatshirt pocket,
A leaf fallen on my lap as I get ready to start the car,
A leaf drifting gently right toward me.
God knows I'm out there in search of His beautiful, everyday gifts,
And sends His Grace right to me.
Friday was no different.
I saw the leaves falling from this tree,
And I remembered,
And I chased,
But no matter how I tried,
I couldn't catch one.
Tired and slightly dizzy from running around like a maniac.
I looked up at the tree and thought that maybe one would come to me again.
Then I thought that was too much like a test
And what if He didn't
And I probably shouldn't
And then I felt that I should just trust.
I stepped under the tree,
Looked at the branch above my head.
I noticed a leaf resting on top of another,
Stem pointing toward the ground,
Just waiting for the wind to knock it down.
Yet it didn't fall.
I saw insects buzzing around,
Resting on the leaves,
Crawling on them.
I saw the light shining through,
The beautiful color green -
I probably only looked for a minute
Before I had seen so much beauty
That I felt that was enough grace
And maybe this is what I was supposed to trust for
And it was so abundantly more than enough.
I was staring up into the tree thinking these things
When something hit my shoulder.
I turned my head in time to see the bit of yellow stuck to me,
Then watch the wind carry it off again,
Down toward the ground.
I picked it up off the sidewalk,
Held it in my hands in wonder,
Then slipped it into the side pocket of my backpack.
Reasons 4515-4589 today,
Trying to see Him,
His abundant Grace -
- He is the Maker of heaven (Psalm 146:6)
- He is the maker of earth (Psalm 146:6)
- He is the maker of the sea (Psalm 146:6)
- He is the Maker of everything in heaven (Psalm 146:6)
- He is the maker of everything in the earth (Psalm 146:6)
- He is the maker of everything in the sea (Psalm 146:6)
- He upholds the cause of the oppressed (Psalm 146:7)
- He gives food to the hungry (Psalm 146:7)
- He sets prisoners free (Psalm 146:7)
- He gives sight to the blind (Psalm 146:8)
- He lifts up those who are bowed down (Psalm 146:8)
- He loves the righteous (Psalm 146:8)
- He watches over the foreigner (Psalm 146:9)
- He sustains the fatherless (Psalm 146:9)
- He sustains the widow (Psalm 146:9)
- He frustrates the ways of the wicked (Psalm 146:9)
- He reigns for all generations (Psalm 146:10)
- He builds up Jerusalem (Psalm 147:2)
- He gathers the exiles of Israel (Psalm 147:2)
- He heals the brokenhearted (Psalm 147:3)
- He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds (Psalm 147:3)
- He determines the number of the stars (Psalm 147:4)
- He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name (Psalm 147:4)
- He is mighty in power (Psalm 147:5)
- His understanding has no limit (Psalm 147:5)
- He sustains the humble (Psalm 147:6)
- He casts the wicked to the ground (Psalm 147:6)
- He covers the sky with clouds (Psalm 147:8)
- He supplies the earth with rain (Psalm 147:8)
- He makes grass grow on the hills (Psalm 147:8)
- He provides food for the cattle (Psalm 147:9)
- He provides food for the young ravens when they call (Psalm 147:9)
- His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse (Psalm 147:10)
- His delight is not in the legs of the warrior (Psalm 147:10)
- He delights in those who fear Him (Psalm 147:11)
- He delights in those who put their hope in His unfailing love (Psalm 147:11)
- He strengthens the bars of His city's gates (Psalm 147:12-13)
- He blesses the people within His city (Psalm 147:12-13)
- He grants peace to the borders of His city (Psalm 147:12-14)
- He satisfies the inhabitants of His city with the finest of wheat (Psalm 147:12-14)
- He sends His command to the earth (Psalm 147:15)
- His word runs swiftly (Psalm 147:15)
- He spreads the snow like wool (Psalm 147:16)
- He scatters the frost like ashes (Psalm 147:16)
- He hurls down His hail like pebbles (Psalm 147:17)
- No one can withstand His icy blast (Psalm 147:17)
- He sends His word and melts the ice and snow (Psalm 147:16-18)
- He stirs up His breezes, and the waters flow (Psalm 147:18)
- He has revealed His Word to Jacob (Psalm 147:19)
- He has revealed His laws and decrees to Israel (Psalm 147:19)
- He has not revealed His Word to any other nation (Psalm 147:19-20)
- He has not revealed His laws and decrees to any other nation (Psalm 147:19-20)
- At His command the heavens were created (Psalm 148:1-5)
- At His command the heights above were created (Psalm 148:1-5)
- At His command all His angels were created (Psalm 148:1-5)
- At His command all His heavenly hosts were created (Psalm 148:1-5)
- At His command the sun and moon were created (Psalm 148:1-5)
- At His command all the shining stars were created (Psalm 148:1-5)
- At His command the highest heavens were created (Psalm 148:1-5)
- At His command the waters above the skies were created (Psalm 148:1-5)
- He established the heavens for ever and ever (Psalm 148:1-6)
- He established the heights above for ever and ever (Psalm 148:1-6)
- He established all His angels for ever and ever (Psalm 148:1-6)
- He established all His heavenly hosts for ever and ever (Psalm 148:1-6)
- He established the sun and moon for ever and ever (Psalm 148:1-6)
- He established all the shining stars for ever and ever (Psalm 148:1-6)
- He established the highest heavens for ever and ever (Psalm 148:1-6)
- He established the waters above the skies for ever and ever (Psalm 148:1-6)
- He issued a decree that will never pass away (Psalm 148:6)
- The stormy winds do His bidding (Psalm 148:8)
- His Name alone is exalted (Psalm 148:13)
- His splendor is above the earth and the heavens (Psalm 148:13)
- He has raised up for His people a horn (Psalm 148:14)
- He has raised up for His people the praise of all His faithful servants (Psalm 148:14)
- He has raised up for His people the praise of Israel, the people close to His heart (Psalm 148:14)
Counting 10,000 Reasons to worship Him:
(Sylvia's already made it to - past - 10,000! So amazing to think of who He is like this!)
<a href="http://maryschieferstein.blogspot.com/search/label/10000%20Reasons" target="_blank"><img src="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8zkGH23srZ8/T2i3Bun0O9I/AAAAAAAABSw/8giPvnJmCPI/s320/10000ReasonsButton.jpg" /></a>
Counting in community:
And linking up at Ann's this week -
It seemed appropriate, considering the post.
- Falling leaves
- The beauty of nature I've had the opportunity to enjoy this weekend
- Time with family
- And so much more . . .