I adjust my black sweater
And fold my hands on my black-and-white skirt,
Wonder if I should pass a few more tissues to the row in front of me.
A man in the aisle
Hands out sheets of paper,
And one makes its way to me,
At the opposite end of the row.
I look at the sheet music which has found its way to my lap,
Resting on the black-and-white fabric.
I read the title and the words,
Then decide that maybe I need one of those tissues myself.
It's not one of my absolute favorites -
Actually, I associate it with one other, and I like the other better -
But I do love this song,
And I can't read these words
And not be touched by what they mean -
And be touched all the more by the fact that they meant so much to her.
It isn't until the end that he asks us to sing it,
A cappella in the absence of an instrument.
Just a few voices,
On a hill far awayA lot of eyes in the room aren't dry anymore.
Stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame.
And I love that old cross
Where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.
So I'll cherish the old rugged cross
'Til my trophies at last I lay down.
I will cling to the old rugged cross
And exchange it someday for a crown.
As we leave, I make my way to the weeping with lingering hugs.
We move out toward the car.
She tells me it was the Lord's Prayer that did it for her.
He won't say.
I tell them it was that song - the moment they put it in my lap.
Nothing that was done or said meant more to me than that.
Reasons 4335-4346 today,
Just ten -
It's been a struggle lately to find the time -
But I have to keep coming back to this
Because He's all I have,
All I can cling to:
- Unless He builds the house, the builders labor in vain (Psalm 127:1)
- Unless He watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain (Psalm 127:1)
- He grants sleep to those He loves (Psalm 127:2)
- Children are a heritage from Him (Psalm 127:3)
- Offspring are a reward from Him (Psalm 127:3)
- All who fear Him are blessed (Psalm 128:1)
- Those who walk in obedience to Him are blessed (Psalm 128:1)
- He has cut His people free from the cords of the wicked (Psalm 129:4)
- With Him there is forgiveness (Psalm 130:4)
- With Him there is forgiveness so that His people can, with reverence, serve Him (Psalm 130:4)
- With Him is full redemption (Psalm 130:7)
- He Himself will redeem Israel from all their sins (Psalm 130:8)
Counting 10,000 Reasons to worship Him:
(Sylvia's already made it to - past - 10,000! So amazing to think of who He is like this!)
<a href="http://maryschieferstein.blogspot.com/search/label/10000%20Reasons" target="_blank"><img src="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8zkGH23srZ8/T2i3Bun0O9I/AAAAAAAABSw/8giPvnJmCPI/s320/10000ReasonsButton.jpg" /></a>
Counting in community: